Thursday, April 3, 2008

Meaning vs the Meaningless

The meaning of life. I feel like now is a good time to ponder on it at 3 o'clock in the morning. I wonder just how many other people stop throughout the course of their busy 9-5 jobs to stop and think about why they are doing what they are doing. Or if they just keep going like those little toys you used to wind up and just let click and flutter around on the ground.

I honestly probably think about the meaning of why we are here a little too much. I feel like anything I say is usually just some weird round-about off-spring off that, no matter long the round-about may be. The meaning of life is constantly on my mind.

I feel like I know now that life has no meaning. It is weird though because I have never consider myself a nihilist. I guess because EVERYTHING has meaning too. I think life's meaning is the meaning that we give it. It could be nothing. Or everything. It is all we have so....we make it what we want it to be. All the meaning in the world won't change our cosmic insignificance, but our uniqueness gives way for much possibility, for potential and purpose. So whether we fill life with meaning, or choose to ignore it. Either way, it matters not. Life is.

We make up the Universe that keeps growing and expanding. (It's amazing out most stars are born from the dust of a dying one!) We create the universe just as all the stars and the galaxies and planets do.

The stars never stop to think of the point of shinning. Our trees don't stop and ask the point of growing. They just do what is natural. Their purpose is not questioned. So for us to even fathom asking such a question to me, now is beginning to seem...ludicrous almost. What is our purpose? What are we to do? We are TO DO. That is our purpose, to exist. Right? To be. This process of life...existence. It is purpose. And it won't be found. Purposelessness lies right next to bodhi, if you are asking me. Purpose and purposelessness...neither one seems to have that different of an implication. The light is either on or off, either way works, ya know. We are still in the room. Here. Now.

So no more asking questions. Or better yet...no more waiting for an answer.

No comments: