Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Words of a Rolling Stone

So, I'm from the Midwest. That's where I grew up and made all my first friends, connnected with all of my first loves and whatnot. It took me years to get the opportunity to leave that area of the country, which can be extremely hard for some of the people who live there just because of comforting of a place it is. It's kind of the same way down South. Everyone is for the most part stays really close and connected to friends and family. I know so many of my friends who could never imagine leaving there families behind to just travel, but I still remember what my mom used to tell me, "As soon as you get the chance you get as far away from this place as you can."

I'm lucky to have such a loving mother! And I mean that, because she knows that there is nothing going on there. Opportunities are really slim to become "successful." (My mom always tells me that I am destined for something big and most of the time I can feel it.) Nothing new rarely comes through the Midwest.

So, I got my opportunity and I left for the West Coast. I am actually planning on heading back to the Midwest this spring for a little bit. But after getting out and seeing a little more this country, I feel way more motivated to get out and see some places that may be a little further away. There is no way I can stay there.
I've always been jealous of those people who go on those cruises with a bunch of friends to the most touristy places like Jamaica and the Bahamas and shit. I want to leave this country! But definitely not on a cruise ship, and honestly...I don't really want to travel with a bunch of friends. I can think of a couple maybe, but I would LOVE to travel alone. Unsafe? Yeah, maybe. But I chose to live my life without fear. I try and pursue my dreams without hesitation because what else is there to do with this life? Honestly.

So, I've been checking out ticket prices for different places like Spain, the Netherlands, Italy. Somewhere nice. I'm kind of thinking about checking out Thailand too. Turkey? Indonesia! I'm seriously considering all of the above. I just got connected to this really good website that has a lot of resources for free hostels spread all across the world. I'm excited. I've always dreamed of leaving the country (just like I used to dream of California and I made it there) and now it is becoming a little more obtainable to me. A little bit!

I think traveling can open ANYONE up to insights about themselves and their lives. Sounds kind of naive maybe, but think about. The only thing we know about distant places are things that we are told by other people! Through books, television, mags, or whatever. To be able to experience living our lives in a completely different place, to experience a completely different culture, that is EMPIRICAL KNOWLEDGE. Wisdom if you ask me. It can't be measured. We are a by-product of our environment, and to change that leaves ample opportunity for true self-discovery and evolution.

And maybe experiencing different cultures could help me appreciate our American culture a little more. Everyone knows this country is going down the tube. If you don't you are sheltered. Period. Or ignorant (and I don't mean to offend, but really though).

I just need to get out and see if other people in different places through their trash and shit on the ground right next to a garbage can. Or get in their car to drive 3 blocks down the road. I want to know if other peoples have a genuine respect for each other as people living in the same place. The same town. The same country. The same planet.

I don't know...maybe. I guess I will see eventually. I just can't wait until that time comes.

No comments: